This HIPAA class will help you ensure that you are compliant with all the regulations required under HIPAA. Are you currently following your HIPAA plan, will you pass an audit of your office? Why has HIPAA become a big deal all of the sudden?
The world was already moving to increase regulatory forces to protect Patient Health Information (PHI) when Target and Google had major breaches of private health and identity theft information. This has ignited public outrage and forced the government to take massive steps to stop breaches of private information. HIPAA and other regulators are part of that ‘solution’ and are acting with more urgency.
The newest major threats to chiropractic (since January of last year):
· CMS has hired an outside accounting firm that is stopping the issue of meaningful use checks (and looking at taking back checks already issued), if you do not have and produce a HIPAA compliant risk analysis. Plus, fines are being issued for clinics that are lacking required written security policies.
· "Willful neglect". This is now being enforced by HIPAA and is defined as "that which the doctor knew or should have known, and did not do". If you're categorized as willful neglect, fines start at a minimum, nonnegotiable $50,000 and go to $1.5 million.
· Medicare has just been funded, specifically for the year 2014 and 2015, to investigate chiropractors for inappropriate and illegal billing, especially as it pertains to maintenance care. Doctors need to understand how and when to release patients from active care and how to use an ABN form correctly, etc.
The presentation will address these issues as well as:
- How to author a HIPAA manual index
- Needed release forms
- Writing policies and procedures, especially for SECURITY RULES
- Writing corrective actions
- Security rules overview and physical security safeguard requirements
- Annual compliance system review and SECURITY rules in-service
- Required Contingency plans for disaster recovery and emergency operations
- Other standards that must be met for the HIPAA privacy and security rules
The event hours will be February 27th form 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm EST & February 28th form 8:00 am - 2:00 pm EST.